Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Everyday Goddess

Used to be all women rolled into one;
Yet many days I felt like none.

Once able to shine, thought I could sing;

Told you think you know every thing!

Daughter of Zeus and Leda the Swan;

No chicken or quail, a bird to look upon.

Trapped by marriage to a boring man;

First chance to leave I took up and ran--

Vainglorious wings once broken free;

A simple Wooden Horse betraying me.

An end finally came to the war I'd caused;

Whose carnage only serv'd to give me pause

That one face could launch a thousand ships;

Slaughter of young men for a wayward kiss

Igniting all the same Old Men's Wars;

Those who never learn from bloody shores.

My husband Menalaeus came at night;

Claimed his Queen of Sparta as his Divine right

Drew back his sword and swore an oath--

How long will it take this bitch to roast?

I stood steadfast prepared to die;

But no Goddess ever dares to cry

Swallowed hard pulled back my robe;

Exposed my heart remained composed.

Beauty and honor moved his sword away;

His wife once again I became.

*Helen of Troy

Now I scratch my head and my nose;

My skin is dry between my toes.

Its true all they say about a rose--

Yet she dares want more than to be a rose

Though others envy or prize it highly;

She prefers to be another thing entirely.






No comments:

Post a Comment